Throughout the year Dr. Villwok offers FREE workshops that are open to the public and our terrific patients. This is a great way to learn basic healthy living tips and skills that can help you get and stay on the right path for a healthier you! Each workshop is designed to be informative and get you up and moving.
If you are a local business in the Omaha-Metro area and would like to join us at one of our workshops and share you expertise on happy and healthy living please give us a call at 402-334-1200. This is a great opportunity to promote your business for free and meet potential customers. We are also available to participate in your companies Health Fair, along with doing Lunch and Learns during your lunch break. Please click here to learn more about a Lunch and Learn.
Did you miss our last workshop? Here is what we discussed during our Lifting 101 Workshop……
Properly lifting an object, can be done by doing the following steps…..Happy Lifting!
- Face the object, position your feet shoulder width apart with one foot slightly ahead of the other.
- Bend your knees and squat keeping your back straight.
- Get a firm grip using your entire hands and not just your fingertips.
- Initiate the upward movement with your legs.
- Lift steadily at an even pace.
- Keep the load close to your body at all times.
- Follow the same procedures in reverse when putting down the load.
- Know the weight of the object before you try to lift it.
- Points to remember – Lift with your legs NOT your back! Your legs should be tired NOT your back! Remember to see your chiropractor right away if you think you might have injured yourself.
Here are a few topics that we discussed during our Exercise 101 Workshop……
Terminology~ Cardiovascular Activities – Designed to increase both heart and breathing rates. I.e. running, jogging, walking, swimming.
Strength Training – Exercises with or without weights to increase muscle strength and function.
Flexibility Training – Stretching to increase the range of motion of a muscles and the joint it affects.
Exercise Intensity~ Vigorous Intensity – unable to talk to the person next to you. Moderate Intensity – able to hold a conversation with mild difficulty. Low Intensity – able to sing a song with no difficulty.
You should drink 4oz of water for every 15 minutes of regular exercise.
Nutrition~ Eating prior to exercise – 30 -40 minutes before you exercise eat a small portion of a carbohydrate food (50-100 calories). I.e Apple, banana, granola bar. This will provide energy during your workout. Eating after you exercise – 30 -40 minutes after you exercise eat/drink a small portion of a protein food (50-100 calories). I.e greek yogurt, cottage cheese, chocolate milk. This helps muscles to recover.